Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Say hello to the class

So we can get better acquainted, devise a short introduction and post it to your Forum folder by Friday. Also, please fill in your profile details.

How to: On the right-hand navigation panel, you should see your name in bold. Underneath is a blue hyperlink "my account". Here you can adjust your name if needed, upload a profile picture and some bio details

Check out Bios –why and how and Amanda's Bio – meet the teach if you need inspiration on topics and formats. Also, please post a photograph – otherwise you will be saddled with the Default Baboon of Shame. (Avatars personalize the online classroom and make the bulletin board conversations easier to follow. Closely cropped vertical portraits work best. However, camera-shy folks are welcome to post any image, not necessarily one of themselves.)

Mike and I are excited to work with you all over the next months. Again, welcome to Writers.com's New Media class!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hi - the class has just begun and already there is so much intreging information and ideas to explore!

But tell me please - how do we view our profiles once we've posted them? i thought i posted mine, but cannot find it. Also, can we see the profiles of other class members?

Thanks for changing the name of my folder so quickly.

kate said...

I didn't mean to do that! Didn't realize that using my google id would use my Life in Yemen persona - it's not ready to go public yet! let's see if i can figure out how to post this comment using my New Frontier class ID.

Amanda Castleman said...

To see your basic profile, scroll to the bottom of the righthand sidebar. Under your name is "My Account" with nifty View and Edit buttons. Any time you post on the site, your name will appear with a link to that page.

I hope you weren't talking about your bio (different animal entirely – MUCH more detailed)? When you post, make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page and hit "save"…

Once all the profiles and blogs are up, I'll create a list so we all can quickly access each others details.

No problem on the quick folder change. Mike has a toddler and gets up *very* early…

Cheers, A.

Amanda said...

Kate, once you dial into your profile page, copy the URL. When replying, click the radio button for "Name/URL" under "Choose an identity," then paste away!

Here, for example, I've linked to my portfolio site, instead of my Blogger /Google profile. Switching identities and sites can be a helpful marketing tool. For example, if I were leaving a comment on a blog about Rome, I'd link to the travel writing workshop I teach there, rather than my blog...

Kate said...

Thanks Amanda for your prompt, useful and effective feed back. Much to learn! I guess I forgot to save my profile the first time. A suggestion (since Mike has asked for them): make the Save button more prominent and have a *R U sure u want to leave* pop up if you navigate away without saving.