Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fighting writer's block: Blog jump starts

Many writing programs employ an in-class drill. The teacher delivers the beginning of a sentence, then the students press pencil to paper and write continuously, without erasing, for a fixed period of time (two minutes is typical). Designed to free up writer's block and the quiet critical "inner editor," this exercise can evoke some interesting material. Following are a few suggestions, if you want to try this at home (having a friend or family member write some on an accordion-folded sheet of paper will duplicate the surprise element).

  1. I've always wanted to visit ...
  2. My parents and friends would worry if I ...
  3. Something I always wanted to try, but didn't, is...
  4. I've long regretted ...
  5. My most bittersweet moment was...
  6. The one item I'd rescue from a housefire...
  7. The childhood memory that makes me blush most is...
  8. The last time I felt giddy with happiness was...
  9. I wish I could buy the world a Coke and tell everyone...
  10. A person I admire, but find frustrating, is ...

The end result of these scribblings won't always be a post, of course: that degree of navel-gazing may not suit your style. But return to your responses a few days later and scan for universal themes. What common emotions surfaced, elements your readers might connect with? How can you tap the power of those shared experiences via your blog?

0 comments: